Got hot spots? Most Kentucky bluegrass struggles mightily in the sweltering summers of the Carolinas and Virginia, often succumbing to disease, drought, heat stress and/or insects. Buy Sod’s exclusive Blue Heat bluegrass can take ‘em. A proprietary blend of the best heat-tolerant and low-mow varieties, Blue Heat is supremely adapted to our region’s climate.
Even better, Blue Heat spreads by rhizomes, enabling it to recover from traffic without reseeding. It also performs at the lower mowing heights required by premium athletic fields and golf courses in cool-season areas.
If you want bluegrass here, you want Blue Heat, available only from Buy Sod.
Blue Heat bluegrass is a cool-season variety suited for Hardiness Zones 6a, 6b, 7a, and 7b.
Attributes and Benefits
- Heat, drought and cold tolerant = thrives in the Carolinas and Virginia.
- Improved resistance to disease and insects = reduced pesticide inputs.
- Rhizome spreader = recovers from traffic and drought.
- Deep emerald-green color = visually appealing.
- Performs at lower mowing heights = versatile.
- Sunlight Requirement: Grows best in full sun, but will tolerate light shade. Requires 6 to 8 hours of sun.
- Mowing: Best maintained at 0.5” to 1.25” (reel mower) or 1.25” to 3” (rotary mower).
- Fertility: Recommended 3 to 4 lbs. N/1,000 ft2/year. Do not fertilize in late spring or summer.
- Weed Control: All herbicides labeled for use on Kentucky bluegrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s Blue Heat. Always follow label instructions.
- Disease Control: Bluegrass is susceptible to patch disease during summer months. Preventive fungicide is recommended on high-end applications, or treat curatively (as needed) on lower-maintenance sites.
- Golf — fairways and tees.
- Sports — medium- to high-end athletic fields in cool-season areas.
- Landscape — home lawns and commercial properties.
Buy Sod’s original Blue Heat sod fields were composed primarily of heat-tolerant Thermal Blue Kentucky Bluegrass from Scotts. Over the years, Buy Sod has incorporated low-mow varieties with improved disease and insect-resistance (proven by university trials) into our proprietary bluegrass stands, establishing our exclusive Blue Heat brand as the premium transition-zone bluegrass.
|Fineness of Blades|
|Speed of Recovery|