Dark green and lush, with a soft-to-the-touch feel, Empire zoysiagrass creates a picture-perfect lawn, yet it’s sturdy enough to take the rough-and-tumble play of pets and kids. And those are just two of Empire’s stellar qualities that raise the bar for warm-season turfgrasses.
Empire’s deep root structure provides excellent drought tolerance in both sand and clay, and its natural insect resistance results in fewer pesticide applications. Plus, it’s suitable for a range of active sites, including golf courses, parks, commercial complexes and moderate-use athletic surfaces. When a turfgrass surface must look great and last, Empire zoysiagrass offers both instant “grassification” and long-term performance.
Empire zoysiagrass is a warm-season variety suited for Hardiness Zones 7B, 8A and 8B.
Attributes and Benefits
- Tolerant to drought = water savings.
- Resistant to disease and chinch bugs = fewer maintenance inputs.
- Dark blue-green color = visually appealing.
- Outstanding spring greenup and fall color retention = extended aesthetics.
- Excellent shade tolerance = versatile.
- Sunlight Requirement: Optimum performance with at least 4 to 6 hours of sun per day.
- Mowing: Best maintained at 0.75” to 1.0” (reel mower) or 1.0” to 3.0” (rotary mower).
- Fertility: Recommended 2 lbs. N/1,000 ft2/year.
- Weed Control: All herbicides labeled for use on zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s Empire zoysiagrass. Always follow label instructions.
- Disease Control: Zoysiagrass can be susceptible to large patch in spring and fall. Use an appropriate fungicide preventatively on high-end applications, or treat curatively (as needed) on lower-maintenance applications. All fungicides labeled for zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s Empire zoysiagrass. Always follow label instructions.
- Insect Control: Zoysiagrass is naturally resistant to most insects. All insecticides labeled for use on zoysiagrass can be safely applied to Buy Sod’s Empire zoysiagrass.
- Golf — shaded fairways and tees.
- Landscape — medium-maintenance lawns and commercial landscapes.
- Sports — moderate-use fields, such as baseball and softball.
- Parks and recreation areas.
Originally developed in Brazil, Empire zoysiagrass was released in 1999 by Sod Solutions specifically for the southeastern U.S. environment.
|Fineness of Blades|
|Speed of Recovery|