Lawns and other managed turfgrass areas sometimes get a bad rap when it comes to environmental consciousness. Homeowners who choose a beautiful turf lawn and turfgrass managers alike should always be prepared to share the wonderful environmental benefits of a healthy stand of turfgrass.
Some of these benefits include:
- Erosion Prevention. Turf has a fibrous root system that binds the soil together, making it less likely to be carried off by rains and wind.
- Reduces Runoff. Turf has a natural ability to capture and retain chemicals and pollutants before they are passed on to nearby waterbodies or stormwater drains.
- Noise Reduction. Studies have shown that turfgrass can reduce noise by as much as 10 decibels.
- Clean Air. Turf absorbs carbon dioxide, converting it into plant biomass which is stored below the ground within the roots.
- Safety Matters. Turfgrass provides a safer surface for sports and can help prevent fires. Insect and rodent pests are also less likely to cross large areas of turf.
Turf isn’t just for creating a beautiful visual on the lawns, golf courses, sports field and park and recreation areas it appears in – it can also provide these and other environmental benefits.